Appellation Central Wine Tours is fully committed to making a positive impact in all aspects of our business, from positive visitor experiences to positive impacts on the environment that we work in. Our current Environmental initiatives are as follows:
- Where possible, vehicles use Biodiesel which is a mix of rapseed oil and local cooking oil.
- Vehicles are serviced at manufacturers recommended intervals to reduce fuel usage and emissions
- All cleaning detergents used are biodegradeable
- The majority of the vineyards visited are Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand Accredited Vineyards - for more information see http://www.nzwine.com/swnz
- Our key restaurants use local ingredients when possible, produce as much of their food onsite, and recycle food, glass and paper waste.
- All paper used in the office and brochures produced are made from 100% recycled paper
- Our printer is defaulted to double sided printing, with a draft level of printing, and ink cartridges refilled locally
- All paper that comes into the office single side printed is reused.
- All equipment is turned off at the end of the day to reduce power useage
- All lights in the office are energy saver lights
- We only use rechargeable batteries
- All paper, cardboard, hard plastic, compostable food produced in our business is recycled
- In 2010 we Achieved Qualmark Enviro-Silver status. Qualmark is New Zealand 's official mark of quality for tourism and the Qualmark Enviro awards are given to those businesses actively working at reducing their environmental impact.
- Stoat Trapping in the Wye Valley - in 2013 Appellation Central Wine Tours donated stoat and rat traps to assist our Department of Conservation preserve one of the very precious valleys in the Queenstown area. We are also involved in monitoring and setting these traps.
The initiatives shown above are not new to us here at Appellation Central, this is how we have always managed the company, however the difference now is that we monitor our environmental inputs and outputs in order to monitor the effect of any new initiatives.
We are very proud of this and will continue to monitor, manage and minimize the environmental and social impacts of our business.